Monday, June 25, 2012

The future is so bright, you gotta wear shades!


The future of distance education is so bright that we are going to have to wear shades.  
We will be so advanced in the technology that who knows how bright it will be.  The advancements of portable technology such as the iPad, tablets, phones, other mobile devices, and the applications that go with them, some students sit at a pool or beach doing their school work.  If students do not have non glare covers then the sun could be so bright, they need to wear shades to see their work.


I never thought in 2007 I would be completing my Master’s degree online.  Back then a conversation about online learning included logging in, reading material, taking a test, and printing a certificate.  I now know that it is discussion boards, blogs, wikis, and much more that was not on my radar or that of my colleagues.  I did not know the difference between blended or hybrid learning and asynchronous and synchronous communication.  So much has changed in my perception and experience as well as in my local and global community.   After numerous conversations in my community, I have been surprised at the variety of those who have experience with online learning as well as those who have an accurate perception of the discipline and dedication it takes to be successful.      

I share my experience and knowledge of online learning with those in my community.  The knowledge that I have gained through these conversations let me know that more and more people are experiencing distance learning and confirm that it will continue to grow in acceptance and numbers.  When I set up my ninety year old grandparents to have Skype on their computer, I knew that technology is for everyone.  For my grandparents, it allows them to see their great- grand kids more often because we are separated by geographical distance.  Technology allows them to overcome this physical separation.  Skype is not just for families to communicate, it is utilized to converse with classmates, instructors, colleagues, and facilitators of a training course.  Online learning expands beyond college students pursuing a degree or classes.  The demand for corporations and government to keep their staff up to date on the latest advancements in their field is critical.

When my friend discussed the environmental impact of online learning I was completely lost.  I thought she was explaining a negative aspect of online learning.  As the conversation evolved, it became clear that she was talking about the benefits online learning has on our environment.  I had never thought about how much an individual saves on time driving, gas, and interaction with family when learning online is done rather than at a set location with an instructor.  I have encountered many young and seasoned adults that prefer face-to-face learning for the interaction and established schedule that goes with a required meeting time and place.  As online learning grows and evolves over the next 5, 10 and 20 years, it is not clear what will occur, but it will grow and transform with technology that seems to change daily.    

The technological advances will have the greatest impact on the direction and who will be turned on or off to online learning.  Looking at the economy and necessary budget cuts, the environmental factors and saving of money will play a critical part in its evolution in K-12, business and government sectors.  These areas may not have a choice in providing online learning to reach their target audiences and save money at the same time.  There will still be a time and place for face-to-face interaction and learning, however I am sure that when they can save money by not paying for gas, airfare, as well as the time, space, and hours needed to instruct, students and  employees will have no choice but to embrace distance learning.     

I feel that information is power and education is key.  Therefore, I take every encounter as an opportunity to teach someone else about distance learning.  With the information I share, they can choose whether distance education is for them.  They can walk away from the conversation and never think about it again or they may look at it in a new way.  At some point there may be a chance they will remember what they learned and see that distance education can provide an opportunity to that they may not have realized until that moment.  It is our conversation that may change their outlook of distance education.  For this reason, I will always be a proponent for distance learning. 

My goal  is to change how my county uses distance learning in our public school system.  I see it being utilized for more advanced courses, when I want to bring awareness to the opportunities it can bring to all students, especially student’s that may not be successful in a traditional face-to-face learning environment.  If only one population is being offered online distance learning, then all students are not being given the same opportunities.  With a motto “children come first,” I want to have an impact on all children being given the opportunity to receive an online education regardless of their economic, social status or future goals.         

No comments:

Post a Comment