Monday, May 7, 2012

What is Distance Learning?

Distance learning is online learning involving computers, a list of assignments that you would do, submit, get a grade, and then continue until you complete a course.  This is what I thought prior to beginning my coursework at Walden University.  It is so much more than I ever thought, including correspondence, electronic communications, and distance teaching universities (Simonson, Smaldino, Albright, & Zvacek, 2012).  I agree with Simonson, et. al, when they cited Garrison and Shale, 1987, defining distance education with the following three criteria: 



1.    Distance education implies that the majority of educational communication between (among) teacher and student(s) occurs noncontiguously.
2.    Distance education must involve two- way communication between teacher and student(s) for the purpose of facilitating and supporting the educational process.
3.    Distance education uses technology to mediate the necessary two-way communication.
Each component of their definition is critical to understanding distance learning and what the future holds for the topic.

Distance learning has proven to evolve as new inventions and technology emerges.  According to the Distance Learning Timeline Continuum (Laureate Education) mail correspondence dates back to 1833 and the first computer and internet technology was introduced for distance learning course delivery in 1979.  When I put this in perspective, it was just three years after I was born when internet technology was introduced.  I am no spring chicken, but I did not think it had been around that long.  My husband’s father is a computer geek, so I have heard numerous times about how it used to take over 45 minutes to load a game to play on his first computer.  In those days it was on a cassette tape, not even a floppy disk.  Even with this knowledge, a light bulb went off when I read the timeline.  I am late to the party regarding how long distance learning has been around and how far it has come.  I always thought of distance learning involving computers and online coursework, but it makes sense that it dates back to mail correspondence.  Mail correspondence is now gone to the sidelines because of technology, but its historical significance on the evolution of distance learning. 

When I think of mail correspondence courses, I am reminded of the draw a picture ad in the back of magazines.  I am sure everyone has seen the picture of a profile view of a bear with a hat.  I still see commercials for these applications today.  I did not think of that as being part of the history of distance learning.  Distance education is “institution-based, formal education where the learning group is separated, and where interactive telecommunication systems are used to connect learners, resources, and instructors” (Simonson, et.al, 2012).  Looking at this definition, mail correspondence fits along with all the others that are featured in the Laureate Education’s multimedia presentation that highlights the history of distance learning.  This presentation has had a significant impact on my knowledge as well as outlook on just how far back in history ideas can be traced.  

As a new member of the Instructional Design community, this was an astounding revelation and what I thought was a new and up and coming area of education.  But then I was reminded when I watched the video, “Distance Education:  The Next Generation” (Laureate Education) about Everett Rogers Theory of Innovation and Ideas.  As an educator, I know firsthand how his theory is applied to education.  If anything makes sense or should be done, then it will face scrutiny and take what seems like forever to be accepted.  I had not thought about it outside of that area.  But, seeing it in the history and evolution of distance learning opens my eyes even further to how the theory can be applied to so many aspects of our world.  It was stated best in the video by “today, distance education is widely adopted and approaching critical mass in society” (Laureate Education).  I would not have thought that my traditional old fashion, old school, face to face learning style would be enjoying completing my graduate studies online at Walden.

I chose online distance learning because it fits my schedule, life, and gets me closer to my goal of obtaining my master’s degree.  This is mainly due to the convenience and flexibility to fit into my life as a wife, mom, and professional.  Another important factor is technology.  When I started my first year at Frostburg State University, I had no computer of my own.   I brought my Brother electric typewriter and thought I was so cool.  Soon I discovered the computer lab and spent countless hours learning by trial and error on any computer I could find.  That freshman could not have seen that I am doing my assignment on my own laptop that will be placed on my online blog which is available thanks to this thing called the internet.  It is crazy to think back on how time changes and so fast. Technology and accessibility have had a significant impact in my experience with distance learning.  So, I know looking at the history and what it has done for me, these and more have changed landscape of distance learning.


The future of distance learning is rapidly progressing and evolving with new technologies.  This includes mobile devices such as tablets and Smart phones.  Such convenience will continue to impact distance education because the more accessible and convenient it is for learners, the easier it will become.  I think that the biggest hurdle of distance learning is in the K-12 communities that may feel threatened that face to face interaction will no longer exist.  I did think this and was hesitant prior to becoming informed.  It will take educating educators on the distance learning and how it can enrich their teaching rather than take over classroom learning.          

 

Resources



Huett, J., Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Coleman, C. (2008). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the web (Part 3: K12). TechTrends, 52(5), 63–6 7.

Simonson, M.  (Presenter).  Distance Education:  The Next Generation.  Vodcast retrieved from Walden University, EDUC 6135:  https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_550908_1%26url%3D

Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2012). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (5th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.




No comments:

Post a Comment